#body {margin-top:10px;}
Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Botticelli would be proud.

Have you ever been reconciled to something and then someone comes along and reminds of your flaw, thus inducing self-loathing and all that goes with it? That happened to me this evening.

Late this afternoon, I drove to Murfreesboro to meet with the dress alterationist for my first fitting of my bridesmaids dress for Ben and Brittany's wedding. I expected straight pins, small talk, and a large bill, but I didn't expect what came next.

Basically, she made a very rude comment about my body---one that was not necessarily intended to be rude, but nonetheless, incredibly disrespectful and hurtful---and not to mention, completely unsolicited. I was minding my own business in my dress, thinking about packing for Europe, when I was reminded bluntly that I'm not a size 2 like the other skinny bridesmaids, and I had to have the most alterations because of my breast/waist/hip size.

I wanted to slap this woman, and then collapse in a heap and cry. Instead, I smiled politely, and then changed the subject.

Thing is, I don't look in the mirror and hate myself. Granted, I deal with body image issues, but overall, I choose to love me. And I realize that I can't compare myself to other people--because there's always going to be someone prettier, smarter, etc.

Recently, a good friend of mine made a comment about her body and how she is struggling with her self-image right now. To be honest, I was rather shocked to hear her say this. My friend is so beautiful and has the cutest little figure. And, she's an incredibly hip and trendy dresser---she's one of the few people I know that could compete with the ladies of Sex and the City. And she was questioning her self-worth???

When I was in Chicago last summer, Amanda and I visited the Art Institute of Chicago. Wandering around, I happened upon this bronze sculpture of a Rubenesque woman, created by a man---Gaston Lachaise. I thought she was magnificent and I couldn't take my eyes off of her. What do you think?

They say perception is 9/10 of the law. I'm a fox, dammit.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so angry that someone would say something so rude to you MAB! I'm proud of you for keeping your mouth shut; I wouldn't have been able to do it. Give me a bat and her address!

7:54 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go MA! Way to love yourself in the midst of a society that is constantly beating us down based on the way we look. We all need to be reminded of this. We can't listen to what society tells us because lets face it none of us will ever be good enough. I think you are beautiful!

-Siebe

8:14 AM

 
Blogger Emily said...

I agree...you ARE a fox. Fox on Knox! (yes, I'm a dork)

10:14 AM

 
Blogger Kristen said...

Wow, that is beautiful.

And so are you.

I can't tell you how many of my friends have gone in for a fitting of some sort only to have someone tell them they are "too _______ fill-in-the-blank." These people are out of control. I don't get it. I guess they know they already have your business so they don't have to be polite.

9:54 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]