#body {margin-top:10px;}
Tuesday, March 18, 2008

She's gonna be a Star!

A couple of weeks ago, I received a baby shower invitation in my inbox. It wasn't an ordinary baby shower, but an internet baby shower for my blog friend Kristen. She's got so many friends all over the U.S., that a friend of hers decided to organize an effort to show her some love via the world wide web. I love this idea.

Kristen and I met during my Adtec days when we were co-writers for a fashion and pop-culture blog called "Las Fashionistas" (R.I.P. 8/21/2005 - 3/2/2007): Kristen's moniker, "F. Seattle," and mine, "F. Nashville." Apart from that common bond we shared with the blog, I realized that I'd made a new friend in the process.

Kristen is expecting a baby girl very soon, to be named Alyssa Star, and the shower invite asked us to post any words of wisdom or thoughts about this joyous occasion. Considering that I've never birthed a child of my own, I don't have a lot of sage advice for my friend. But spending some time this weekend with friends who are new mothers, I managed to glean a nugget that I will hang onto when I find myself with child (and Lord, let's hope it's later rather than sooner).

Kristen, know that you will never have it all figured out. Just when you think you've got a feeding schedule perfected, she'll begin to grow and demand more. And today she might like this and tomorrow, she'll like that. Every child is different, and while some may claim to be experts in child-rearing, there won't be an owners manual for Alyssa Star. Praise the Lord that he created each of us individually and uniquely, and that we aren't cookie-cuttered, carbon prints of each other! You're going to be a fabulous Mom---trust your instincts and always look to our Creator for direction. Congratulations and much love to you, Jay and Alyssa Star!

"But my dove, my perfect one, is unique,
the only daughter of her mother,
the favorite of the one who bore her.
The maidens saw her and called her blessed;
the queens and concubines praised her."
Song of Solomon 6:9

2 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

Thank you, Mary Anna! That was lovely! And you are so, so right.

11:52 AM

 
Blogger Kristen said...

BTW, I forgot to tell you, someone said some nice things about us last month...

http://sahmstyle.blogspot.com/2008/02/great-new-blog.html

11:54 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]