#body {margin-top:10px;}
Monday, July 17, 2006

Tryin' to Catch Me Ridin' Dirty

I think my friends and I must be very strange, because we seem to be the only ones that "get" each other....

Saturday night, Mandy, Natalie, Lana and I were enjoying a balmy evening on the patio of Jonathan's in Cool Springs. We wander on a tangent about interaction with people and how it's polite to give a courtesy laugh when someone you work with makes a bad joke. Lana recently experienced rejection from co-workers, when they all failed to provide the appropriate courtesy laugh at a joke she made.

Lana was telling us the story of how she was with coworkers and a rap song came on the radio. One of her coworkers made a comment about how she didn't like that kind of music. Lana says, "I do sometimes, especially when I'm with my friends. We sing rap songs operatic-style." Lana then proceeds to belt out "Ridin' Dirty" by Chamillionaire, except putting her own operatic spin on the chorus.

Now, this seems completely normal and acceptable to my friends and I. When Lana mentioned singing songs operatic-style, I could identify, having done so myself, many a time. But evidently, her coworkers didn't really understand the humor in the situation, because none of them laughed. Lana said they looked at her like she was an alien, so she promptly exited the room.

I can name offhand, several friends, of whom I've personally witnessed give operatic performance to whatever rap song is blasting on the radio. Do other people act like this too? Or are my friends and I just freaks? I mean, we're all still single...

6 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

Nah, I do it, too. I hate it when people at work don't get my sense of humor though, that's the worst.

Thanks for the info on St. Jude's!

11:21 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's hysterical. I would probably love your friends.

-thesciencegirl

4:47 PM

 
Blogger lauren said...

if you didnt laugh at that, what in the world WOULD you laugh at?! really. those coworkers must have no sense of humor, or if they do, its a stuffy sense of humor. The courtesy laugh goes without saying.

4:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

everyone should try this with "who let the dogs out." the "who, who, who" section is particularly fun and an old UK favorite.
~ari

12:10 PM

 
Blogger Amanda Bradley said...

I must also raise my hand as one who has sung rap songs in the operatic nature. And I have to take credit for the "Ridin Dirty" episode too- Lana and I started that at a nasty gas station in Cullman, AL last week on our way to see MB!!!

2:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it!! But, it wasn't my co-workers, it was my friend Courtney's co-workers that I met at her house-warming party this weekend. They were complete strangers, and obviously God did not supply them with a sense of humor!!!!
Your the best MA - I am so glad our friends GET us!!!
- LANA

2:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]