#body {margin-top:10px;}
Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The Gift That Keeps On Giving

So, hi.  It's been a little while.  I've missed me.  I'm hoping to get back in the saddle in the New Year, and there might be some things cooking in my life that will supply adequate blogworthy fodder.  We'll see...

Anyway, I thought I'd share a little heartwarming story with you in the meantime.  The names have not been changed, as to not protect the not-so-innocent.  You can't make this kind of stuff up, folks...

My longtime friend, Amanda, celebrated a birthday back in early November.  As a birthday gift, I presented her with a $10 iTunes giftcard.  During the next month, Amanda would occasionally comment that she didn't know how to spend the giftcard.  In fact, at one point, she almost purchased the Glee Christmas album, but my disdain for its low-brow contribution to pop culture gave her pause. 

Fast-forward to Friday, December 10.  Our mutual friend, Rhonda, hosted a party to celebrate her 30th birthday.  The festivities were underway, and Amanda and I and a few other mutual friends are gathered nearby Rhonda as she opens her cards and gifts.  Rhonda opens Amanda's card and pulls out a shiny blue iTunes giftcard.  Immediately, I see a red flag go up. 

I looked at Amanda and shot at her, "no you didn't."  I repeated that sentiment several times as she turned beet red and began to giggle sheepishly.  When my suspicions were confirmed, my mouth fell open and those around us began to howl with laughter. 

Here's the thing...  It's not that she re-gifted the giftcard I gave her.  It's that she had the audacity to do it at an event that I was attending!  And she thought I wouldn't notice?  Nothing gets by me.

If it weren't so tragically comedic, I might have been really mad.  But, tis the season for mercy and grace, right?

Speaking of re-gifting...  There is something that you can re-gift anytime of the year, and that's the love of Christ Jesus.  And to give that love away is to receive it back ten-fold.  It truly is the gift that keeps on giving.  Merry Christmas!

Photos from Rhonda's 30th Birthday Party
Photography by Joe Hendricks (Rhonda's Husband)


 Lana, MAB, Rhonda, Amanda & Lisa
5/8 of the original Crazy Eight (See Picture Below)

Spring Break 2007

Blue Steel, ya'll

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

RE: blogging in 2011, ala Laverne and Shirley. "Nothin's gonna turn us back now, Straight ahead and on the track now. We're gonna (blog and) make our dreams come true, Doin' it our way."

1:38 PM

 
Anonymous Rhonda Hendricks said...

Love it!!! I hardly treat myself to iTunes anymore, except for free apps, so I was VERY glad to take this indecisiveness off of Amanda's hands! Thanks for blogging the pics too!

10:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]