#body {margin-top:10px;}
Monday, July 5, 2010

Resiliency

Lately, I've been well.  I daresay that my little trip to SBC energized me for resiliency.  I'm guessing it was the time with friends and the ocean, not the Southern Baptists on steroids.  I digress...  Anyway, I have this habit of looking up the definition of words I fancy.  Resiliency is one of them.  It just rolls of the tongue, eh?  Dictionary.com states it so well:  the power or ability to return to the original form, position, etc., after being bent, compressed, or stretched; elasticity.  Elasticity...now that's a fine word. 

Speaking of resiliency, I'm experiencing an end-of-twenties crisis.  Some of you are privy to the terrible-awful-no-good-very-bad-thing that dropped in my lap in April, and I've been emotionally working through the fallout in these past few months.  In response, I decided to grow my hair out.  Sure, it's not bizarre, but I needed a change.  Something that says, "you hurt me, but I'm still fabulous...with long hair, too."  I haven't had long hair since 1998.  And by long hair, I do mean long strands that barely danced above my elbows.  Then, one weekend, Nikki Morgan and Andrea Irwin and I went to visit Nikki's sister, Naomi, at Union University.  Naomi had this cute, college-girl, inverted bob, and I decided that I too must have a cute, college-girl, inverted bob, even though I was a high school twerp.  Off with my hair!  I cried, initially, but then got over myself when I realized how fantastic it looked. 

So, here we are twelve years later, and it's taking longer than I thought it would to grow it out.  It's actually beginning to brush my shoulders, and that's exciting.  My new Solia flat iron is also exciting.  I'm going to be Whitney Port in no time. 

I'm not deliberately neglecting Paris blogs or even blogging in general, but life has certainly taken precedence the past few weeks...er...months...  The past two-and-a-half weeks have been exceptionally busy, and have trended toward some friendship themes.  A very good friend of mine was lamenting to me recently that she's going through a bout of friend-less-ness.  It's something natural that we all go through, especially in our twenties, as we move through different stages of life.  These friendships ebb and flow, some of them growing stronger, and some of them fading away.  Ironically, I'm experiencing both extremes right now:

I have an old acquaintance who is very slowly turning into a friend.  I don't get a lot of face time with this "friend," but I do recognize even this little bit of time is valuable, and I'm called to continue planting seeds.  I am reminded of my purpose by her.

I have an old friend who is very slowly turning into a new friend.  I know my friend is hurting.  I'm not sure of my role in helping to mend the hurt, but she's certainly on my prayer radar.  I am burdened by her.

I have an old friend who I recently reconnected with on a Spiritual level.  She is someone who has known me for a very long time, and our similar life stages rekindled the friendship.  I am edified by her.

I have a few friends that I can count on to walk beside me in matters of singleness and in Spirituality.  These women live their lives set apart.  I am inspired by them.

I have a few friends who are incredibly ambitious, and make many sacrifices in their lives to strive for personal success.  I am motivated by them.

I have a friend who is leaving one stage of life and entering a new one.  I am joyous for her.

I have a friend that is undergoing some personal trauma and loss.  She is rebuilding, and I'm carefully walking alongside.  I am humbled by her.

I have a friend who is new, and our connection is by circumstance.  I am excited by her. 

I have a friend who never fails to put a smile on my face.  I am laughing by her. 

I have a friend who has run away.  I hope she comes back.  I am saddened by her.

I have a friend who is far away.  Our friendship has survived oceans.  I am stabilized by her.

I have nine friends, spread out across this country.  They define a large piece of my life.  I am grounded by them.

Recently, my dear friend Courtney (who embodies a few of the descriptions above) introduced me to Strengths Finder 2.0.  One of my top five strengths is "Relator."  My Relator strength is defined by how I "enjoy close relationships with others, and find deep satisfaction in working hard with friends to achieve a goal."  After I completed Strengths Finder, I realized that I have a passion for enriching and equipping the women in my life as my relationship grows deeper with each of them.  In the past few months, I've been asking God to clearly define my purposes (because there are many more than just one).  My desire to see women be God's best continually arises again and again.  I don't know quite what to do with that yet, but it's at least a hint of what may be to come...or of how to prepare.  It occurred to me that maybe all of these diverse women in my life are contributing to something greater.  I'll be sure to let you know when I figure that out.  Until then...

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! You are an amazing woman Mary Anna! I never comment, but I'm always amazed by your words. You should be a writer! I miss you and your words of wisdom.

I have a friend who I read about her life and adventures, and I'm inspired.

I hope you are doing well and I miss you!
Desiree

8:24 PM

 
Blogger Courtney Baker said...

Great post as always! Aren't relationships so interesting. I'm sure life would be so boring without then. Happy Tuesday.

7:49 AM

 
Blogger Cioara Andrei said...

Foarte interesant subiectul deybatut de tine.M-am uitat pe blogul tau si imi place ce am vazut, cu siguranta am sa mai revin o zi buna!

2:36 PM

 
Blogger Steph said...

Great post MA! You are such a talented writer!! And what about a friend who is great for laying out all day at the pool with?? :) Love you much my friend! Steph

10:43 PM

 
Blogger Amanda Bradley said...

hey pot, this is kettle... you're black! Checking in on Sarah to see if she had a new blog? Tsk, Tsk. :)

10:01 PM

 
Blogger Sarah said...

Oooooh, burn by Amanda!! haha

We do Strenghts Quest at mi trabajo, which sounds the same as Strengths Finder. I think it is the best personality/abilities "test" I've come across, and I've done pretty much all of them (seriously). You are definitely a Relator, but I am very curious about your other strengths findings? :)

xoxoxo

1:59 PM

 
Blogger Katie said...

This is good, Mab. You are a beautiful friend to all of us! I wanted to let you know that I, too, after about 10 years, am growing my hair out! It's two inches past my shoulders - woo-hoo! It really takes too long, which is why I never make it to this stage without wacking it all off in haste one day! Much love, Katie

11:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]