#body {margin-top:10px;}
Thursday, January 28, 2010

Twas the Night Before the Blizzard

'Twas the night before the blizzard,
when all through the Knox;

Not a creature was stirring,
not even a Fox.

The snowboots were sitting by the door with care,
In hopes that Frosty would soon be there.

The roommates were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of sleeping late danced in their heads.

And Mary Anna in her bed, with Uma's whirring rap,
Had just settled down for an overnight nap.

When out on the lawn there fell such a smatter,
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.

Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Tore open the blinds and and peered through my lash.

When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But long icicles, and the most snow in a year.

With the weather forecast so accurate and right,
I knew in a moment my Friday was white.

More rapid than rain, the school closings they came,
And I whistled, and shouted, and called them by name!

"Now Sumner! Now, Davidson! Now, Williamson and Smith!
Off, Grundy! Off, Cheatham! Off, Trousdale and Wilson!

To the top of the porch! To the top of the wall!
Now stay home! Stay Home! Stay Home all!

The chatter of cold held tight in my teeth,
And the steam of my hot tea encircled my head like a wreath.

I had a smiling face and a full breakfast belly,
That shook, when I laughed, as I watched the tele.

I spoke not a word, but went straight to relaxing,
But then decided, I better work on my taxing.

Then laying my finger aside my nose,
I ran outside, and froze my toes!

I sprang into the snow,
to my roommates gave a whistle,

And out the door they all flew,
like a speeding missle.

But they heard me exclaim,
as my snow angel was in sight,

"Happy Snow Day to all, and to all a lovely white!"

6 Comments:

Blogger Steph said...

Love, love this!!!! :)

10:52 PM

 
Blogger Rhonda said...

You are such an amazing writer my friend! I LOVE THIS!!!

10:06 AM

 
Blogger Amy said...

WOW! Impressive!

4:20 PM

 
Blogger arica said...

Love it! You are one amazing writer.

4:31 PM

 
Anonymous Mandy Gallagher said...

I absolutely love this MA!!! You are so amazing!!! Happy Snow Day!

1:30 AM

 
Blogger Amanda Bradley said...

Love it!!! Miss you friend- when's a FL visit coming??

10:04 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]