#body {margin-top:10px;}
Tuesday, January 19, 2010

But, Perfect Love Drives Out Fear.

I laid in bed the past few nights, unable to sleep. I didn't get a lot of rest this past weekend, and as a result, I've been really tired this week. But when I lay my head down on the pillow, I can't seem to turn off. My brain is moving 90 mph, as I mentally review my "to do" list. But really, there is something a bit more threatening going on inside my head, and it's called fear.

While I do understand the personal source of my fear, I feel unable to conquer its presence in my life. Ultimately, a fear translates to a lack of faith in my God and His plan for my life, so clearly I've got an issue to confront.

I spent some time tonight referring to my notes from Beth Moore's Esther Bible study I completed back in the Spring. In week five, we learn that Esther makes the decision to approach the King to ask for clemency for her people and to expose Haman's evil plotting. The magnitude of risk in even approaching the King was high, especially for a woman. And, to publicly stand up against her manipulative enemy? Esther had a right to be feel daunted.

But as Mordecai reminded Esther in 4:14, "who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?" It's simple, really. Christ conquered death, gave me eternal life, and intends for my life to reflect His glory and power. Who am I to be fearful of my circumstances?!

So, I will seek wisdom from His Word, and put my fear at bay. Beth says that the most frequent command in the Bible is "do not fear." Here's just a sampling:

"There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love." 1 John 4:18

"See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands; your walls are ever before me." Isaiah 49:16

"But now, this is what the Lord says---He who created you, O Jacob, He who formed you, O Israel; 'Fear not for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine.'" Isaiah 43:1

"Do not be afraid; you will not suffer shame. Do not fear disgrace; you will not be humiliated. You will forget the shame of your youth and remember no more the reproach of your widowhood." Isaiah 54:4

"But blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit."
Jeremiah 17: 7-8

"For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of Sonship." Romans 8:15

"For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline." 2 Timothy 1:7

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]