#body {margin-top:10px;}
Monday, December 17, 2007

Leader of the Band

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket A contributor to many of my childhood memories made on family vacations and cross-country car trips died today. Dan Fogelberg,
of mid-70s/early-80s folk-rock and bluegrass fame, lost the battle with prostate cancer at only 56-years-old.

Dan was a beautiful songwriter, and through my eyes and imagination, his music was a soundtrack to my parents courtship and romance. I don't remember a single car trip where we didn't listen to a tape (that'd be a cassette tape) of Mr. Fogelberg's harmonies.

I guess it's all just "Part of the Plan."


I thank you for the music and your stories of the road
I thank you for the freedom when it came my time to go
I thank you for the kindness and the times when you got tough
And papa I dont think I've said 'I love you' near enough.

The leader of the band is tired and his eyes are growing old
But his blood runs through my instrument and his song is in my soul
My life has been a poor attempt to imitate the man
I'm just the living legacy to the Leader of the Band.


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish this were my blog, as it very well could be. Dan Fogelberg played a really key part in many of my most favorite childhood/car trip memories. I don't remember a Christmas where "High Country Snow" wasn't played. Thanks for the post.

Also, just READING "Leader of the Band" makes me tear up.

Also also, re: your newer post. I love you and your giant heart. Can't wait to hug you SOON! xoxo

10:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]