#body {margin-top:10px;}
Sunday, December 9, 2007

Peace.

It's 8:08 on Sunday evening, and my five-day weekend is finally over.

I got news late last Wednesday night that my Mamaw passed away. As a result, I've spent the past five days in Jackson, TN dealing with all that goes along with death.

I'm sad, exhausted (both physically and mentally), worried and joyous all at the same time. I miss my Mamaw greatly, and Christmas is going to be really hard this year. I don't want to go to work tomorrow, because I need to detox my body and my mind. I'm concerned about Mom and I just want to go home to her and give her a great big hug. And, I'm tickled pink, because my grandmother has met her Creator and Redeemer. And is probably enjoying all of her favorite hobbies--probably painting a portrait of Jesus holding her infant daughter that died so many years ago.

This weekend wasn't void of a ton of memories of mamaw, family, and all kinds of shenanigans that occurred in her care. The highlight of my week was my reunion with my cousin Steven, whom I haven't seen since high school.

I was very honored to speak at Mamaw's funeral, and mentioned that I've been able to get to know her more in the past three years than I have in my entire life. I think that's because I've had the opportunity to know Mamaw in my adult life, rather than through a child, teenager, or collegiate's perspective.

I am all of the above, and I am at peace.


Mary Ethel Young Robinson
July 7, 1918 - December 5, 2007

Mary was born in Savannah, Tennessee, July 7, 1918, the daughter of the late Sydney Johnson Young and Velma Lucas Young. She was educated in the city schools of Savannah and upon graduation, won an art scholarship to Harris Advertising Art School in Nashville, Tennessee where she began her early training as an artist.

She was very active in high school in basketball and track, winning many ribbons and was voted best girl athlete in her junior year. She was Miss Savannah in 1938. She later became a secretary for the state when WPA and ADC were active.

Mary was a Methodist all her life and has been an active member of the Hays Avenue/Aldersgate choir since 1958. She was a life member of United Methodist Women, Irene Wheat Sunday School Class and Faye Hassell Circle serving as treasurer. She was a charter member of the Savannah Art Guild and a lifetime member of the Jackson Art Association.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi friend -- what a wonderful post. And what an accomplished lady your grandma was! It's clear that you two share more than just a first name. I'm sure she was quite proud of the strong, virtuous and artistically-inclined woman you are. I'm keeping you and your fam in my prayers.

Unrelated news: I can not wait to see you either!!!!! Long-distance xoxoxo til then.

2:30 PM

 
Blogger Kristen said...

Sorry to hear about Mamaw. I am so glad you got a chance to really get to know her these last few years. How wonderful.

2:54 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]