#body {margin-top:10px;}
Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Out-of-Office Reply

Last week, I emailed a friend (who shall remain nameless because I'm about to make fun of her), and promptly received a kickback from her own email. It was her out-of-office reply message. Instead of a generic response attributing her absence to vacation or official company business, she said she would be out because of her best friend's wedding.

Now, this got me thinking (and snickering). What if we were always honest and explicit in our explanation of office absence? It left me asking, a) would anyone care, and b) is it appropriate?

I attempted to explore this notion with a few faux, yet entirely plausible, out-of-office replies:

I am out of the office Tuesday, July 26 because I'm having a colonoscopy. My bowels are inflamed.

I am out of the office Tuesday, July 26 because my dog died. After three surgeries, the doctor's pronounce him dead. Join with me in mourning Sparky's passing.

I am out of the office Tuesday, July 26 because I'm taking a mental health day. Today I plan to get a manicure and pluck my eyebrows. I'd also like to water my plants and catch up on my reading---I've got a stack of Woman's World Weekly requiring my attention.

Seriously. What if?

10 Comments:

Blogger Amanda Bradley said...

yeah, well? I thought it added a personal touch! darn you, scuba steve- i was proud that my friend was getting wed and i wanted the world to know. plus it makes the customers less likely to send me multiple emails about the same thing- they are moe forgiving knowing I'm out for a wedding! So THERE!

10:57 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is actually kinda funny b/c it was my wedding and i didn't even put the excuse on my out of office reply. haha!
~you know who (no, not voldemort)

12:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree with MA. If your customers can't understand that you are out of the office without an explanation, then they are really stupid. HA! LANA

1:48 PM

 
Blogger Amanda Bradley said...

yes that's right- they are MOE fo'giving. Anyways- they're not stupid, they're just impatient. And apparently someone did care that I put a personalized out of office reply- someone cared enough to blog about it! :oP

2:39 PM

 
Blogger Darren Montgomery said...

Which Pete Yorn album are you listening to? It was hard for me to find out here, but if you can get your hands on "Pete Yorn Live from New Jersey" GET IT!! His live drummer blows my mind. So simple but perfect for whats going on. The live version of "On Your Side" kills me and he does a great version of "Suspicious Minds" too.

My two cents.

D

3:09 AM

 
Blogger Darren Montgomery said...

RYC.
The reason I only remember the bad movie is because the person I was with lived there for a while and was just going back to visit. We spent the whole time going to all the places that he wanted to and seeing all the people and things that were on his agenda. I was pretty much along for the ride. I would love to go back. I loved what I saw, but didn't get the chance to explore.

You should come and visit Seattle. It's beautiful. I spent the week in eastern WA and when I came home today it really made me appreciate how great it is here.

Anyway...

3:18 AM

 
Blogger Amanda Bradley said...

are we not blogging during the week anymore?

1:57 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm out of the office because I had a brazilian wax and can't sit.

Be back next week.

10:51 PM

 
Blogger none said...

I'm out of the office Tuesday, July 17th because I have not done laundry in 3 weeks. I am completely out of clean underwear, including bathing suit bottoms, and I do not think it is either professional or comfortable to go commando.

4:11 PM

 
Blogger Bethany said...

I stumbled onto your blog from Amanda's and I noticed on a couple of tea sites on your link: TAZO and Republic, which in addition to NUMI, used to be my favorites....have you checked out Teavana, either Teavana.com or the newly opened store in the Green Hills mall. If you are a tea lover like myself, you will LOVE it!

Just thought I'd share :-)

12:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]