#body {margin-top:10px;}
Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Autonomy

One isn't always the loneliest number. Last Monday night, I enjoyed a Dragon roll at my favorite sushi restaurant, Miyako, while dining alone. Sometimes, the peace and quiet are nice. And I find that dining alone affords lots of time for people watching.

Tonight, I am flying solo to the Ben Folds concert at the Ryman Auditorium. Ben Folds Five are one of my top ten favorite bands of all time. This is a moot point, as the band is now defunct. I'll have to settle for one third, just Ben Folds. I never had the privilege of seeing the band before they parted ways. However, I did see Ben Folds at the legendary 328 Performance Hall in September of 2001. And, Citizen Cope opened for him.

Anyway, the point? I'm going to see Mr. Folds again tonight, and I will be alone. I'm still mourning the relocation of my concert buddy, Jamey, and Mason's gone MIA. So, it's me, myself and I.

I've never been to a concert alone before. A movie? Yes. To a foreign country? Yes. But a concert? No. This will be a new experience for me, and I'm quite excited. Maybe I'll meet someone interesting. Interesting, being an attractive male in his late 20s/early 30s with day-old scruff and nerdy glasses.

Of course, Mom has reservations. Here's how the conversation took place:

Mom: "What?!?! You're going by yourself?!?! You know I don't think that's a good idea!"
Me: "Well, sometimes you can't always be with someone else and life goes on."
Mom: "Well?!?! Where are you going to park?!?!"
Me: "I dunno, in a parking place, I guess."
Mom: "Mer, you know what I mean! There are homeless people downtown at night!"
My thoughts: Homeless people! The horror! I might get the chance to hug one of them!
Me: "I'll be careful Mom."
Mom: "What time is the concert over? Will you call me when you get in your car with the doors locked?"

Gotta love my Momma. She cares about her little independent chica. And that feels good.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ashley said...

I think a mother's love is what gets us single girls through some of those rough moments like going to a concert alone, dining alone, going to a wedding solo and the list goes on. Praying you had a wonderful time, remembering our identitiy is not in men, but the Lord. Okay I am preaching to myself! Miss you friend and hope that real spring weather is near! Blessings from Texas!

10:45 PM

 
Blogger Amanda Bradley said...

ha ha- no matter how old you are, you'll always be her little girl! Glad you had fun at the concert!

2:49 PM

 
Blogger none said...

Ben Folds gives a good concert! I've done the movie alone, dinner alone thing, but never a concert alone. I hope you had fun!

btw, we have the exact same type :"an attractive male in his late 20s/early 30s with day-old scruff and nerdy glasses" lol

4:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]