#body {margin-top:10px;}
Sunday, August 24, 2008

Per-fekt Fix

The Diva posted recently about needing a Sephora fix badly, and I have to concur. I needed one too. My Sephora giftcard that I've had since Christmas has been burning a hole in my pocket. When I checked my email on Thursday night, the decision was final. Not only was there a 30% off coupon for one item at Cosmetic Market, but also a Sephora weekly email with a FREE 10-day sample of Bare Escentuals bareMinerals, plus a FREE baby kabuki brush. Sold.

So, I recruited Courtney to go with me Friday on our lunch break, and we made our way over to the Hill Center in Green Hills to the brand spakin' new Cosmetic Market. I snapped up my CARGO Bronzer in medium (which I was legitimately out of and was a fabulous deal considering I got it at 30 percent off), and then I noticed a 50% off shelf. I spotted a tiny NARS eye shadow box, and opened it up to find a beautiful plummy red-brown color called Amarcord. Yep, no questions here. It went in the basket.

Courtney bought a Clarins mascara, and after we thought her car was stolen in the parking deck, we drove over to Green Hills Mall to go to Sephora. Courtney had waxed poetic the entire way over about this powder-gel foundation stuff that's similar to Smashbox's Photo Finish. To be honest, I wasn't that enthralled---I can't wear Photo Finish because it's not oil free. My mom, on the other hand, has dry skin and loves the stuff.

When we walked in Sephora, Courtney thought this mystery item was CARGO brand, which made a similar product, but the shimmer inside the tube wasn't exactly what she remembered. Then she spotted it endcapped on a column--it's called "Skin Perfection Gel" by Per-fekt Beauty. I was skeptical until I put a dab of it on the top of my hand and it melted into my skin. I immediately put it down and said, "oh no, I can't have any of this because it's not oil free." Well, turns out, it is oil free. And talc, fragrance, and paraben free too. Instead, the product contains dimethicone, which happens to be one of my all-time favorite beauty ingredients. Dimethicone is a silicone-based elastomer and its properties mold to imperfections to create a smooth surface. I first discovered dimethicone (and its derivatives) in Curel Moisture Lotions (one of the best moisturizer lines on the market).

I couldn't believe how smooth this mousse-like gel spread onto my skin and provided just the right amount of coverage. I don't wear liquid foundation---just concealer, then Bare Escentuals Mineral Veil, but lately I've noticed that my foundational routine isn't combatting my rosacea for the whole day. My face is very oily and my makeup has been pooling on my face--especially on 90 degree days.

Well, there goes the Sephora giftcard. After I snapped up a refill of my Mineral Veil and Courtney and I perused the Benefit fixture, we checked out. Sephora was kind enough to give me a travel-sized compact of Benefit's Dr. Feel Good and of course, the free Bare Escentuals sample. I was on cloud fifteen (not nine) when I walked out of the store.

I did a little research on this gel when I got back to the office, and I found out that Per-fekt Beauty is the brainchild of Richard Anderson, pioneer of the Yves Saint Laurent and Bobbi Brown Essentials lines. No wonder I liked this stuff. I'll report back soon.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

(gasp) How did I MISS these great deals? I'm always a sucker for discounts. Darn it!

8:12 AM

 
Blogger Courtney Baker said...

Yea for Sephora/Cosmetic Market trips!

9:36 AM

 
Blogger Kristen said...

Yay indeed! I'm off to the website (our nearest one is a $20 drive away)...

1:46 PM

 
Blogger Amanda Bradley said...

I'm jealous you got your sephora fix! But happy uo got such great stuff and for cheap!

6:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]