#body {margin-top:10px;}
Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Who Got the Hooch?

Tonight, Amy got home and as soon as she walked in the front door, she yelled at Em and I upstairs that we had a package! Em and I shrieked with glee, as we realized that the package might be from one of our neighbors. You see, the four of us have been loving our new neighbors in recent weeks with cupcakes and muffins. So, you can imagine that it was a big deal for us to get something in return. "It's like secret pals!" squeals Emily.

Amy runs up the stairs and Em and I are jumping up and down at this point. I spy the rumpled bag, and realize the design on the bag looks like a Bill Cosby sweater. The top of the bag had white tissue paper laced with confetti poking out. Amy shoves her arm in the bag, and pulls out a dark green, labeless bottle of white wine. Again, there's no identification for this bottle of wine, no foil cork label, no nothing. On the top of the embedded plastic cork, scrawled in Sharpie, "98."

We all look at each other dumfounded. Amy pulls out the card inside, and we realize its from our neighbor Mr. Ted. We'd dropped off banana crunch muffin's at Mr. Ted's house this past weekend.

Amy: "So, I guess it's from 98."

MA: "It looks like urine. I don't know about this..."

Emily: "It's moonshine! It's hooch!"

MA: "He made it in his basement!"

By this time, we're gasping with laughter at this random gift. It's a nice gesture, but let's be real--it's a mysterious green bottle. No explanation in the card, no "I made it myself," or "I picked it up from a special family vineyard," or "I found it on the side of the road and thought of you."

However, he did kindly write, "To the nice young ladies across the street. Serve cold."

10 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

I am cracking up just reliving last night. That was SO funny!

4:16 PM

 
Blogger Amy said...

i'm not drinking it!!!!! it's cloudy for goodness sakes, plus as Em pointed out today... 98 could be 86... I'm just saying! 1st person to try it gets next months rent free :) ames

4:54 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey save the bottle for my bottle tree.
Hunny

6:38 PM

 
Blogger Rhonda said...

THAT is hilarious!!!! Joe's friend made us some moonshine like 2 years ago and we still haven't touched it. He did try to light it on fire one night though. It didn't work.

9:07 PM

 
Blogger Photo Joe said...

That's weird! You need to put 27 hour surveillance outside your house (the extra 3 hours are just in case). By the way.... the moonshine my friend gave to me DID light on fire and that is a good way to see if it is moonshine or not.

9:12 PM

 
Blogger Mary Anna said...

Amy had a good idea---we should do a very special Wine Smash on location to determine the variety of wine in the bottle. Just sayin'...

10:09 PM

 
Blogger Amanda Bradley said...

well at least you know he's not gonna put rufies in the wine, then own up to giving it to you, so it should be safe to drink at least in his eyes!

5:08 PM

 
Blogger Courtney Baker said...

Oh, you have to drink it. Did you at least uncork it and smell it?

10:12 AM

 
Blogger Emily said...

I miss your daily blogs

8:00 AM

 
Blogger Mommy, Esq. said...

I read recently in Moonshine Spectator that 98 was a good year.

Let me know how this all works for you....

8:16 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]