#body {margin-top:10px;}
Monday, July 21, 2008

On this day in history...

At about 2 a.m. last night, my phone's alarm went off. I didn't set it for that time or create a calendar appointment for the dark of morning---but nonetheless, the alarm sounded. Before I even fumbled for my phone in the dark, I already knew what to expect: January 6, 1896.

For a reason that alludes me, my phone randomly (and by randomly, I mean every few months or weeks) sounds the alarm for that lone date. There's no entry or appointment on that infamous day in history, just a reminder of the date. Interestingly enough, if you scroll through my mobile's calendar function, it only will go back to the year 1900.

I told my techie friend Jerry about this phenomenon, and he figured out that there is a Samsung firmware glitch in my phone's model. Leave it to him to find some rationality in this. Emily, on the other hand, was just as spooked as I am, and asked, "what happened in history on January 6, 1896?" So, in hopes that it was something juicy or scary or ironic, I did a little research. Here's what I found--you tell me if any of this sounds significant:

  • The first U.S. women's 6-day bicycle race started in Madison Square Garden.
  • Abram N. Pritzker, founder of the Hyatt Hotel chain and McCall's magazine, was born.
  • At 1 o'clock in the afternoon, the first session of the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court took place in New York City.
  • President Grover Cleveland issued a public subscription to the nation's dwindling gold reserves, outraging the country, yet resuscitating its ailing finances.
  • Utah was finally admitted to the Union, bringing the flag to 45 stars.

3 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

Utah, huh? It must be some dead Mormon trying to haunt you.

"Baptize me!!!!! Baptize me, Mary Anna!!!!!"

3:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that is crazy-go-nuts right there.

9:11 AM

 
Blogger Courtney Baker said...

That is fun. I don't think you are going to find the answer with one search. You'll probably get a clue and then another clue, etc. I'm pretty sure you should research Cleveland. When there is outrage involved, that's always a good clue.

-- Nancy Drew lover

4:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]