#body {margin-top:10px;}
Monday, March 6, 2006

Oscars 2006: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

I arrived home last night a little later than expected, missing the first half of the Academy Awards, along with my favorite part, the red carpet entrances. Praise the Lord for the Internet! Overall, I was a bit disappointed with the fashion turnout this year. A couple of dresses were notable, but most were safe and boring, with a slight absence of color adorning all of those pompous celebrities. As a result, most of my fashion picks contained a splattering of color. I will say though, the highlight of my evening was when the highly deserving Crash was presented with the award for Best Motion Picture. Here's the good, the bad and the ugly, compliments of Queen MAB.

Michelle Williams: I'm not a huge fan of this chick. I've just never taken her seriously before. She has a tendency to blend into the crowd. But last night, that all changed. Michelle literally popped off the red carpet in her orange-pineapple sorbet, Vera Wang frock. It's a bold statement, but she proclaims it with grace. Her vintage-inspired jewelry, loose chignon and red lips complete her ensemble beautifully. No doubt though, the masses will hang her for her choice.



Felicity Huffman: Could the lady look any classier??? Her hair and makeup are absolutely gorgeous. And the Zac Posen accoutrement is a perfect combination of allure and demure. Felicity is definitely aging gracefully.



Jennifer Lopez: While I don't really love the style of her dress, the color is magnificent! Not everyone can pull off the color green, i.e. Charlize Theron, but with her complexion and glamourous personality, JLo doesn't disappoint.



Taraji Henson: Her contribution to Three 6 Mafia's Hard Out Here for a Pimp was lacking, but she sure redeemed herself by arriving in this fabulous dress! The cerulean blue color is deliciously springy and the floral embellishments are very pretty.



Terry Pheto: I've not seen the award-winnng Tsotsi yet, but this dress deserves an award of its own. It's a loud, proud dress with elegant detailing. I've never seen this gal before in my life, but she has certainly made a classy entrance on the red carpet with this scarlett-shaded number.



Reese Witherspoon: All hail the Queen of the Oscars, 2006! She looks divine in her Dior gown, albeit she played it safe after that tragedy of a dress at the Golden Globes. Her acceptance speech was humble, her smile warm, and I couldn't be happier to see her succeed.



Terrence Howard: This man is fiiiiiiiiiine. He oozes class and style. He's wearing a diamond brooch, yet he still looks manly. I don't think we've seen the last of him.



Derek Zoolander: Blue Steel is always, always, always, a fashion "Do." "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?"



The Ghost Patrol (Naomi Watts, Nicole Kidman, Uma Thurman): Please, please please---can we let the ecru/eggshell/cream/ivory/pearl dress trend die off?!?! The three of you look frigid and ghastly in your unfortunate choice of dress. Naomi, while your Givenchy drapery is quite interesting, I can count on both hands the number of previous award shows and premiere's where you don a dress that matches your skin tone. Nicole, need we any reminder that you are an ice princess? And Uma, you look like death. Seriously.



Three 6 Mafia: In a desperate attempt to attract viewership, the Academy allowed Three 6 Mafia to conduct a circus show on their stage. As if their performance of Hard Out Here for a Pimp wasn't embarrassing enough, their acceptance speech left me wondering if these gentlemen were sober enough to realize what they had just won. While amusing, for a moment I debated whether I was watching the Oscars or MTV's VMA's. On the upside, thank goodness Jordan Houston didn't forget his teeth bling.



Jamie Fox: The man is a tool. A big tool. As if we needed any reminder that he is indeed "a black brotha," he never fails to make race an issue. Jamie, your lame attempts at name dropping, remarks about how "your people" need to stick together, and your overall arrogance is a huge turnoff. The look on Queen Witherspoon's face says it all: Security! Remove this man from my presence! C'mon dude, have some class.



Liberal Hollywood, I wish I knew how to quit you!

4 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

Oh, how I love your recaps. I'm SO glad someone else likes Michelle Williams' dres, too! Everyone has been reeming her today, but I loved it. I thought she looked fabulous!

3:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm just curious as to if i'm the only person in the world who doesn't know who three 6 mafia is. should i be concerned? should i consult a doctor...or a cosmetic dentis?
~ari

9:53 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and by dentis i mean dentist of course.

9:53 AM

 
Blogger F.Cali said...

LOL--Liberal Hollywood! I like your review!

3:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]