#body {margin-top:10px;}
Wednesday, February 8, 2006

Canal-iferous!

I had a root canal yesterday. For the second time. On the same tooth. Basically, I sprouted an extra root and so they had to go back in. Not my idea of a fun day, but I sure did have a fun evening last night with the Hydrocodone the endodontist prescribed me!

I left work yesterday as the numbness in the right side of my face was beginning to wear off. For a little while there, I looked as if my face were melting silly putty. I was a bit droopy. So I headed to the grocery store to fill my prescription. I had to wait twenty minutes so I killed that time in the makeup section and the ice-cream aisle. I don't normally keep ice cream in my freezer at home because it's a stumbling block for me. In other words, it wouldn't stay in my freezer long. But last night I needed that ice cream. Something else I purchased needed that ice cream. And that folks, was Marie Callender's Apple Crumble Pie.

You see, it was necessary for me to purchase this pie. I had major surgery on a tooth so I couldn't and wouldn't dare to eat hard or crunchy foods. I was forced to eat this pie. Otherwise, i might have starved to death.

Anyway, I got home and put the pie in the oven, popped a happy pill, and sat down on the couch to knit. Evidently Hydrocodone doesn't take long to work because American Idol was the funniest thing I've ever seen in my entire life. And to my joy and rapture, my pie was ready as soon as the show was over!

While I may often wax ecstatic about fine food and dessert, this experience was different. The apples in this pie were perfectly seasoned and incredibly fresh and crisp! And halfway through the baking time, you sprinkle this brown sugar crumble mixture on top of the pie for added delight. Top it off perfectly with a scoop of Blue Bell's Homemade Vanilla ice cream. I had not one, but two foodgasms. What can I say? I went back for seconds!

Granted, it could have been the Hydrocodone, but I was in a rather euphoric mood last night. One of my favorite television shows, "$40 a day" of the Food Network, was broadcasting the episode where Rachael Ray eats Amsterdam. Her first stop for the day was the "Cafe de Prins," along the Prinsengracht Canal (Princes Canal), for breakfast. I've eaten at the Cafe de Prins. I ate there last September when I was in Amsterdam on official Adtec business. I dined at a lovely table alongside the canal for lunchtime. I can remember thinking that I better be careful or I will topple into the canal. They don't have fences or any kind of barriers along the canals to keep you from falling in. Anyway, seeing Rachael Ray enjoy Cafe de Prins reminded me of what I enjoy so much about Amsterdam---leisure. Something about that city is so amazingly inspiring, which is ironic because it's a city of sex, drugs and rock-n-roll. Regardless, I can remember the liberating feeling of sitting alone at that restaurant, reading my travel guides and not wanting to be anywhere else at that very moment.

4 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

You are SO saving me a piece of that pie for Friday night! :)

4:55 PM

 
Blogger Amanda Bradley said...

sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll, burden lifted!

10:01 PM

 
Blogger Mary Anna said...

I just snorted with laughter when I read that...I'm turning into Lisa!

9:15 AM

 
Blogger jillymae said...

mmmmmmm, hydrocodone. and nothing takes the edge off like ice cream! well done!

9:59 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]