#body {margin-top:10px;}
Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Biblical Barbie

What does it mean to be a woman of Christ? On several occasions lately, I've dealt with uncertainty on this subject---including writing a disgruntled letter to a local Christian radio station when a comment was made by the male morning show host, "if a woman becomes President, then who's gonna do the laundry?" Don't ask. I wasn't nice: "that's like asking, 'if a black man becomes President, then who's gonna pick the cotton?'"

I have vivid childhood memories of boldly proclaiming to my parents that I was going to be the first female President. I'm sure my parents secretly giggled at this, but never once did they say to me, "you're better off in the kitchen, so lower your standards." In contrast, I can remember my dad saying to me, "do it!"

Part of me is proud to be a career woman, a minority in a corporation powered by beards, and the other part of me is dying to find myself a sugar daddy and become the traditional 1950s homemaker. Right now, I don't have a choice. I must work to support myself. And someday, I hope to have the choice to work or stay at home with the kids and keep house. But what do I do in the meantime?

Yesterday, I got an email from an associate at B&H Publishing, that contained the video below. The video promotes Robert Lewis' new book, "The New Eve":

Many women lack a clear, compelling, biblical vision for what it means to be a Christian woman living in the twenty-first century. They are stuck with images mired in 1950s terminology or given license to indiscriminately pursue a modern life that overlooks divine directives, bringing confusion and regret.”



Don't you love it? What are your thoughts?

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

so true....ames

9:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]