#body {margin-top:10px;}
Saturday, September 23, 2006

Sensing Autumn

It has begun. My favorite season of the year has commenced. Some may bloom in the spring, but my senses come alive in the fall.

See

  • Fall is Tennessee's greatest season. The rich, rolling hills explode into a palette of crimson red, bright orange and yellow gold. Ever since I began commuting back and forth to work downtown, I've become more aware of the leaves changing. Each day the subtle and colorful metamorphosis unfolds before my eyes and it never fails to call the Lord's praises to my lips for His beautiful creation.
  • The advent of autumn yields a plethora of new television shows, as well as the return of my old favorites, prompting questions such as, "who will be eliminated from the race?" "what diva's photo is Tyra holding?" and "will she choose McDreamy or McVet?"

Hear

  • Roaring crowds and whistling referees signal the most grand of all competitive sports, football. Listen for the sound of different ages and social circles mingling, and the crescendo of excitement amidst the clashing of helmets and the sis-boom-bah of the cheerleaders.
  • Maybe it's because fall feels mellow. Something about the season prompts me to dust off my jazz, blues and big band albums and reacquaint myself with my old friends, Miles, Billie and Frank.

Smell

  • Certain smells are characteristic only of fall. The pungent odor of a harvest bonfire and the charred marshmellows, dripping from wire coat hangers. The sharp fragrance of baled hay causing me to sneeze. The stale aroma of piles of crunchy leaves.

Taste

  • Fall means the return of the hot beverage. In my case, it means the return of hot tea. I prefer to think of it as a comforting experience that warms my soul from the tip of the head to the tip of the toes.
  • In my fall, holidays are associated with food. Halloween produces sufficient amounts of chocolate and other sugary confections, while Thanksgiving combines the king of protein with the carb buffet.
  • The most fabulous vegetable of them all manifests itself in the form of the following: pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin soup, pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin toddy, pumpkin seeds, so-on-and-so-forth...

Feel

  • The autumn air is crisp, so crisp, it cools to the core upon inhalation, instantly rejuvenating the weary. I live for crisp, fall days.
  • Fall fabrics in corduroy, wool, denim and leather hit the clothing racks. These bold textiles begged to be handled and worn.
  • Forget the boys of summer. It's all about the boys of fall. Holding hands with the object of your affection in the fall generates electricity, an ethereal experience that cannot be replicated in any other season.

Just like that pinecone that rolled up to my doormat yesterday, I welcome you, autumn.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

Ah, great post, MA. My favorite pumpkin thing...pumpkin spice latte. Yummmmmmm.

I finally quit ANTM last season. I watched three shows and couldn't get over how ugly the girls were. I mean, really ugly. Should I go back?

RYC-You fat? Huh? :)

10:45 AM

 
Blogger Emily said...

Amen, sista!

12:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i totally agree with everything you said. now, if only we can figure out how to avoid the deep chill of winter and still keep Christmas. anyone?
~air

1:27 PM

 
Blogger Amanda Bradley said...

where are these "Boys of Fall" of which you speak?

5:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]