#body {margin-top:10px;}
Thursday, June 4, 2009

Free Horse to Good Home

I acquired a stray pet recently. His name is Charley, and he's a horse. While we were in Florida, I was sleeping peacefully one night. Around 3 a.m., I awoke with an amazing shooting pain in my left calf. I had no earthly idea what was going on. My leg seized up, and I sat up in bed and started crying because it hurt so bad. I couldn't flex my foot, and I just laid there and whimpered. The next morning, I told the gals about my experience, and they laughed and said that I had a Charley Horse.

Now, I know it may seem surprising, but I've never had a CH before. When I played soccer in high school, I would have Achilles flare-ups, but never anything like this. Charley was sore the week following, and I've noticed him rearing his head the past couple of days. I'm ready for Charley to find a new home.

Last night was my third Wine 101 class at Fido. I'm beginning to make some casual-acquaintance friends, even though I probably won't ever see most of them again. Our focus of the evening was "the winery," and we discussed topics including vintage, harvesting methods and seasons, fermentation differences in whites versus reds, malolactic fermentation, oak barrels versus stainless steel tanks, and wine balance in regard to fruit, acid, sugar, tannin and oak. The food was extraordinary, but the wine was only so-so, even though we tasted nine. My two favorites:

Huarpe Lancatay Malbec from Argentina
We were shown images of Malbec grapes, and they're the loveliest color of blue. Almost a periwinkle, or a Carolina blue. The skins are slightly transparent, and the grapes are large, round red pulps that shine through the skin. This wine was made from late-harvest Malbec grapes, and the wine was heavily bodied with a high alcohol content. It was incredibly fragrant, and pleasantly, but not overwhelmingly, sweet.

Three Saints Cabernet from Synez Valley, California
By far, the winner of the evening. This cab spent it's entire pre-bottle time aging in an oak barrel, bringing out a strong smoky flavor. It was incredibly smooth, yet strong, and it tasted expensive. And, it is, retailing at $25 a bottle.

Our Menu:

Coconut Chicken Rice Cakes with Lime Sour Cream and Chow Chow
Grilled Shrimp Tostada with Rhubarb BBQ Sauce and Mango Hot
Trio of Handmade Pizzas--
Classic Margherita
Lemon Mayo with Feta, Spinach and Figs
Chorizo with Tomato Pesto and Golden Raisins
Local Organic Pulled Pork on Handmade Buns with Cider BBQ Sauce and Slaw

I received some news today that upset me, although it is probably not upsetting to most of the free world. Camerin Courtney, author and columnist of the Christian Singles Today Newsletter, has been axed by Christianity Today due to the flailing economy. For the past five years, I've read Camerin's columns on a weekly basis, comforted by her straightforward honesty about life as a Christian singleton. I've read her books, and felt as though she was a wise friend, sharing her own struggles and learned lessons. Not only am I disappointed that the newsletter is folding, but I'm also struck with a pang of sadness at her words:

"This isn't how I thought goodbye would look. Our goodbye, single friends. I thought there would be a great guy ushering me into a new season of life. I thought saying goodbye to you readers would coincide with saying hello to married life or to some other new ministry or vocational pursuit. Instead, our parent company Christianity Today International has recently made the very difficult decision to discontinue ChristianSinglesToday.com. And this is our last newsletter."

I, too, thought Camerin's exit from the Singles newsletter would be the end of her singleness. I not only mourn the loss of her job, but I ache for her continued aloneness---the way I ache for my own aloneness.

Spiritually, I'm having a tough time right now hearing God and believing what I know to be true. I admit, I'm a little (okay, more than a little) irritated at Him right now. Life doesn't look like I want it to look. And because of that, I haven't wanted to read my Bible, pray, or even think about holiness. I know I'm acting like a rebellious teenager, and I'm pushing buttons in my anger. I know this can't last...shouldn't last...won't last.

I do take great comfort and humility in remembering that He knows me better than I know myself. And even during this period of heartache and defiance, I know He hasn't left me.

Psalm 139: 1-12
For the director of music. Of David. A psalm.
O LORD, you have searched me and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD.
You hem me in—behind and before;
you have laid your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.
Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.
If I say, "Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,"
even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Courtney Baker said...

Great entry Mary Anna, but I have to say, how have you never had a Charley Horse?

8:51 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]