#body {margin-top:10px;}
Friday, October 20, 2006

Qu'ils mangent de la brioche!

At some point this weekend, I will attend a screening of Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette.

I'm anticipating fabulous costumery, colorful cinematography, Gen-X-indie acting talent, and a new wave soundtrack. I feel about this film, much like I felt about 2004's Vanity Fair. Easy on the eyes, but a dragging plotline.

Supposedly, it got booed at Cannes earlier in the year, but my expectations are still high. So what if Miss Coppola took some artistic liberties in fashioning her interpretation of the teen queen. If I really wanted true historic preservation, I'll read about it in a book. And then I'd have to read another book about it to firm up any previous claims. History is in the eye of the beholder, afterall. Not to mention, the French are just generally hard to please.

BTW, "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche!" is the not-so literal translation of, "Let them eat cake!" often attributed to Marie Antoinette. However, history would dictate otherwise...

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

I saw it yesterday and really, really liked it. How about you?

11:17 AM

 
Blogger Amanda Bradley said...

can we say "tres' magnefique" on the shoes designed by noneother than Manolo Blahnik??? I was drooling at the costumes, shoes, and decadent deserts Marie Antoinette devoured throughout the film. The plot was just so-so. But it made for a fun girls outing on a cold October afternoon.

3:55 PM

 
Blogger Mary Anna said...

While the plot was a bit choppy, I still loved the movie. The dresses, shoes and sugary confections were fabulous. And, I loved-loved-loved the hair and makeup!

12:36 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]